Reporting to the VP, ACM Facility Safety, this position is responsible for providing subject matter expertise in PHA / SIL facilitation and other PSM knowledge areas. This role is accountable for the development of knowledge, process and systems to improve our PHA data Analytic engine and training courses. Supporting our clients in performing and reviewing Safety Integrity studies is an integral part of the responsibilities of this role.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leading Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) including HAZOP, FMEA, What-If, HAZID and Safety Integrity Level (SIL) Determination studies for clients.
- Provide Risk Identification/Data Analysis /Assessment Services.
- Prepare for, facilitate and write reports for PHA (HAZOP, FMEA, What-If, HAZID) studies.
- Prepare for, facilitate and write reports for SIL Assessment and Validation studies.
- Responsible for the upgrading or modernizing of client Safeguarding Systems.
- Provides Expertise in Process Safety and HSE/Risk Management consulting projects.
- Supports the technical team in Safety and Risk seminars and presentations.
- Responsible for providing expertise in the Reliability and Availability analysis of Control and Safety Systems.
- Part of the team responsible for developing and delivering ACM Public and Private Training Courses.
- Mentors and guides of all Engineers (EITs and Facilitators) on industry best practices.
- Responsible for managing any assigned internal technical projects.
- Acts as SME on risk analytic projects including interpreting PHA analytics report and rule sets.
Education, Experience & Skills
Education and Qualifications
- Engineering degree or technologist with experience in engineering or operations. Electrical or Chemical Engineering or Technologist degree is preferred.
- Functional Safety Certification (TUV or CFSE) is preferred or eligibility to be certified.
- 15 years+ Experience in leading PHA or SIL studies in the Energy sector or Petrochemical industry is preferred, although ACM will consider engineers who have been members of numerous PHA and SIL review teams, have extensive operations experience and possess a strong desire to learn how to lead such studies.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the world of Process Safety Management Management, preferentially in the oil and gas or petrochemical sector.
- Excellent skills in facilitating group meetings.
- Entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Aptitude for innovation.
- Excellent team working and problem solving skills.
- Excellent computing and typing skills.
- Experience in reading process and mechanical drawings (PFD, P&ID).
- PHA facilitation experience or extensive participation experience with a passion
- Experience of working in a multidisciplinary consulting or Engineering office environment.
- Knowledge of Process Safety Management and applicable standards.
- Process, mechanical, electrical or chemical design experience or extensive operating experience in Oil & Gas or Petrochemical facilities.
- Experience in Electrical / Control Systems functionality and operability.
- Experience in producing technical reports.
- Able to read and interpret shutdown keys, instrument diagrams etc.
- Knowledge of Safeguarding Systems (i.e. fire & gas, deluge, ESD, SIS).
- Knowledge of Process Safety Management and relevant standards (API, ASME etc.)
- Experience with PHA software including Pro, PHA-Works etc.
- PHA/HAZOP/SIL Instrumentation Knowledge.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring young engineers.
- Experience in teaching process safety management courses.
This role will function within a typical office environment for part of the time, with an equal amount spent at various job sites. A significant amount of travel will be required (up to 30%). Workloads will very greatly, with frequent periods of intense activity and tight deadlines.
This job will require significant periods of sedentary work, primarily sitting.
This role has no direct reports